Monday, October 08, 2007

More Work Gets Done

Because this is, theoretically, a home improvement blog, and because I like to have people over at my house without having them sign a waiver and warning them not to touch anything, and to maybe get a tetanus shot before they come over, I do occasionally get stuff done.

I've been noticing over the past couple of years that the porch paint was peeling and the iron was rusting. This has been low on my list of priorities because I was distracted by other frivolities like having heat and a working toilet, but I digress.

I decided to tackle it recently. I scraped the peeling paint off and the loose bits of rust. I didn't know how bad the rust was, but if it kept going, there would eventually be a hole in my porch. I hope I caught it in time. Well, in time for future buyers not to notice anything wrong.


Here is a pic of all the big chunks of rust I scraped off. It's still sitting there because I have been too lazy to sweep it up, but I'm hoping that the squirrels will eat it and save me the trouble.

There was so much rusty metal that came off, that I'm afraid to have fat people walk on the steps anymore. I don't know if the porch is strong enough to support it. I guess my brother will have to come in from the basement from now on.


Then I painted it with some anti-rusty stuff that is supposed to act as a primer and a rust stoppy thingy. I kinda ran out, because there was so much rust, but this should give you and idea.







Then I painted it with the enamel paint and stuff. Since I don't believe in cleaning unnecessarily, it's pretty obvious where the work was done.

There was another big patch on the other end of the porch, but my camera batteries were dying...and I'm lazy.



I'm gonna try to get some stuff done on the MacGuyver kitchen this weekend. Will keep you posted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't mean to be 'that guy', but you might consider priming the entire porch and painting everything. That way instead of a couple black patches, your entire porch will be blacker than Ann Coulter's heart. And, seriously, who doesn't want that for their porch? Especially in D.C. where I imagine that would be a selling point.

HomeImprovementNinja said...

sir: if I had more time, I probably would. This was more a stop-gap thing to keep the rust from spreading.