Tuesday, May 12, 2009

New Stairs!

So the hardwood floors upstairs and downstairs looked nice, but the stairs that connected them looked like crap. I thought about refinishing the stairs, but decided on having them done over, which cost a lot more money, but ended up looking nicer, I think.






Before Pic Number 1: this is the transition from upstairs to the stairs.







Here's what the stairs looked liked from downstairs. There's a fine line between "shabby chic" and "silence of the lambs" and these stairs were on the wrong side of the line.









Here's a pic of the stairs in progress. It's missing the part you step on, which makes it not yet a staircase.











Here's what it looked like when the stairs were in, but before it was stained and painted.











I went to a paintstore so they could get the stain to make the pine stairs look like the oak floors downstairs. Preety good match, I think.







Stained, painted and drying













FINISHED!















17 comments:

Velvet said...

I love them! Yes, they were a bit Silence of the Lambs-ish. I love how you have blue tape over the stairwell. um, you live alone. Is that necessary?

This girlfriend has been a boon for your house repairs. She needs to stick around.

Cyndy said...

Your steps look great! I'm going to be painting and staining mine in the next couple of months so it's nice to see some that are freshly done.

HomeImprovementNinja said...

velvet: Well, I had people over recently so the tape was necessary until the stairs dried.

cyndy: good luck with yours.

Jamie said...

Looks fantastic!

My girlfriend has been a major setback to house repairs. Seems I have a lot less free time these days. I'm not exactly complaining, but rather wondering: How do you pull that off?

Anthony said...

Stairs look great! Ours could use an overhaul as well. Mind if I ask who you used?

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job. I won't critique something I've anticipated for so long. Nice.

Kristin said...

Your stairs ROCK!!
so crisp and clean looking :-)

lralph said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
HomeImprovementNinja said...

Jamie: thanks. Actually, she helped me paint once, but I have been doing less around the house of late, truth be told.

Anthony: My Dad came up from Florida and did it. I'll write more about that soon.

Anonymous: thanks.

Kristin: thanks.


lralph: no thanks, I don't do

John said...

Very, very nice. I think they look better than any finished project at the Devil Queen, but having said that, I'm not sure if actually have finished anything. We're all about the silence of the lambs at our place. Anyhow, beautiful stairs.

steve the plumber said...

Brilliant diy job, did it take you long to build?

The white painted walls look fresh

woodpick said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Tom, I really like your new stairs, I think you are no less than a professional carpenter. I really appreciate your work. I am looking for home improvement in my home too. I have a plan to remodel ceiling in my living room and make some repair for stair-case. I am looking for some suggestions from you.

Luxury Bedding said...

This is the good blog with good images and good details. Please keep on posting the more stuff. I will like to hear more from you.

Mark Hunter said...

Iron has made its name through Spiral Stairs
I like iron stair railings.
They give's a nice look.
And the way they designed. I just luved it

Jake Smith Home Tool Kit said...

Great sequence of photos. I need to get my staircase done as well. I need a tool that I don't have though.

charlotte roof repair said...

Wow you did a great job on those stairs.. that is a big DIY project. Kudos to you!