Monday, April 17, 2006

Ninja News: Episode 5

Profiling sucks. Stopping and harassing someone because they are black, or because they are dressed in black is just plain wrong.

Well todays ninja news is also a mild libertarian rant. It turns out that moronic government thugs with nothing better to do with your tax dollars than beating up a college kid for being dressed up as a ninja were at it recently. You can read about below. Between this and the Hurrican Katrina response, I'm not feeling really safe in their ability to protect the country from actual danger any time soon.




http://www.redandblack.com/vnews/display.v/ART/443c71ed40b94
ATF rids Univ. of ninja threat

By CAROLINE ERVIN
Published , April 12, 2006, 06:00:01 AM EDT

story image 1
This photo, taken by a student’s camera phone, shows ATF officials pinning down Jeremiah Ransom in front of Snelling dining hall. He was coming from a pirate vs. ninja event at the Wesley Foundation and was not arrested. (Kathleen Ruark | The Red & Black)

ATF agents are always on alert for anything suspicious — including ninjas.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearm agents, on campus Tuesday for Project Safe Neighborhoods training, detained a “suspicious individual” near the Georgia Center, University Police Chief Jimmy Williamson said.

Jeremiah Ransom, a sophomore from Macon, was leaving a Wesley Foundation pirate vs. ninja event when he was detained.

After being held in investigative detention, he was found to have violated no criminal laws and was not arrested.

“It was surreal,” Ransom said. “I was jogging from Wesley to Snelling when I heard someone yell ‘freeze.’”

Ransom said he thought a friend was playing a joke before he realized officers had guns drawn and pointed at him.

ATF agents had noticed Ransom’s suspicious behavior and clothing and gave chase, apprehending him, Williamson said.

“Agents noticed someone wearing a bandanna across the face and acting in a somewhat suspicious manner, peeping around the corner,” said ATF special agent in charge Vanessa McLemore.

Ransom was wearing black sweatpants and an athletic T-shirt with one red bandanna covering the bottom half of his face and another covering the top of his head, Williamson said.

“Seeing someone with something across the face, from a federal standpoint — that’s not right,” McLemore said, explaining why agents believed something to be amiss.

Agents noticed Ransom peering around a corner and said when police sirens sounded, he took off running.

After chasing Ransom and identifying themselves, ATF agents detained him, turning him over once University Police arrived, McLemore said.

Ransom said Williamson told him the incident should not have been handled in such a manner and he would file a complaint with the ATF.

“I was in shock, to say the least,” Ransom said.




Also, for no reason at all. Here is a tutorial on how to make a ninja mask from a tshirt. I think we should all walk around in ninja tshirt masks on friday in solidarity for our ninja brethren and to protest government oppression and profiling.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I try this at home, it will be yet another reason why my wife will think I am a retard. I can imagine how it would go:

Wife: "Are you having problems?"

Me: "I was trying a ninja mask trick that I learned online"

Wife: "Oh.....ok then. Then I guess you moved on from Star Wars..."

Anonymous said...

This is so cool! Now I can show my teenagers how to make ninja masks because I saw this and they didn't. Does this give me cool points as a mom?

HomeImprovementNinja said...

gui, I tried it and it works. I did it with a black Che Guevara shirt I had. That makes it even more badass.

lillian, that might give you cool points with your kid's friends, but your own kids can never think you are cool. It's metaphysically impossible. All my friends thought my dad was cool and funny, but when he was being "cool" I didn't know where to hide.

Emily said...

OMG that's like an article from the Onion, except it's real. Thanks for bringing this to my attention! :-)

HomeImprovementNinja said...

flowerz, yeah it's real. Reminds me of why the founding fathers thought citizens should have guns.